Sunday, May 31, 2009

Rondas, Bread and Wine

Packed weekend.

Yesterday I had the opportunity to meet my distant cousins at the 1st Ronda Family Reunion held at Rockland Lake State Park. We had an amazing time chatting, sharing family history and stories, and assembling the family tree. I never realized how many us were out there. My sister and I always considered ourselves the only ones. Funny enough, so did the other Rondas. Growing up as the only child (my sister is from my father's second marriage) and shielded by my grandparents, it was nice to finally connect with my family and have that sense of belonging. I am looking forward to our next reunion, which reminds me, I have to call my dad.

Today Dave and I drove up to Vernon, NJ and Warwick, NY for bread, cheese and wine. Bobolink Dairy (http://www.cowsoutside.com/) is the place to go for delicious artisan bread and cheese. Both are made on the premises...and you're greeted by the dairy's rooster. After our purchase of cheddar cheese, cranberry and walnut stick, rosemary epi, and garlic and duck confit ciabatta, we decided to take a drive to the Warwick Valley Winery (http://www.wvwinery.com/). If you haven't been there, I strongly recommend a visit. We've had bad experiences with NY wines, so we went in with no expectations. However, I think Dave went in expecting the worst. Well, we were wrong. The Harvest Moon and the Cabert-Franc shut us right up...we even bought some to bring home as well as some hard apple cider. The grounds are perfect for picnics and there is live entertainment on the weekends. I do not recommend the food at the restaurant...bring your own picnic basket, blanket and some cheese and bread from the Bobolonk Dairy...You are all set for a lazy Sunday afternoon.

- Yeye

No comments:

Post a Comment